How To Take A Screenshot On A Kindle Fire HD Or HDX

Send to Kindle

Did you know it’s possible to grab a screenshot on one of these thingies?

I’ve previously posted about How To Take A Screenshot (i.e., a digital photo of your current screen image), but that post was limited to taking screenshots on your computer. Today, I’ll share how to do the same thing on your Kindle Fire HD or HDX.

Note that this technique does not work on a first-generation Fire, because that model doesn’t have a volume button.

First, the how. Then, the why.

How To Take A Screenshot on A Kindle Fire HD or HDX

Press the power button and the volume down button simultaneously, and hold for about a second. You should hear an audible camera shutter sound, unless you have your device’s sounds turned off.

Your screenshots can be found under the Photos > Device > Screenshots.

It’s very easy to email or post them online right from your Fire, from within your various social media and email apps, but you can also attach your Fire to your computer with a USB cable and transfer the screenshots to the computer, which is what I did with the screenshot near the bottom of this post.

Why Take A Fire Screenshot?

Screenshots have plenty of good uses. Here are just a few things you might want to take a picture of from your Fire HD / HDX screen:

1. …an error message you’re seeing in an app to share with tech support.

2. …a bill payment confirmation screen.

3. …something someone posted on Facebook or another social media site.

4. …an image from within a game you’re playing, to post online. Like this one, from my own Simpsons Tapped Out game, showing Superintendent Chalmers fishing with Grampa Simpson feeding the pigeons in the background:

Tapped Out Screenshot

Now I’m all set to show off my Springfield on The Simpsons Tapped Out discussion boards!

Chances are, now that you know how to do this, you’ll find all kinds of fun and practical ways to use screenshots from your Kindle Fire HD or HDX.

Print Friendly

9 Comments

1. Comment by Edward Norton:

Tried this. Didn’t work. Heard the click but could not find the screen shots in my “photo”-”device” area. Other photos present, but nothing that says “screenshots.” Or the screenshots themselves. Suggestion?

• Comment by Mom:

You must first go through the initial Photos setup screens on the Fire device itself if you’ve never transferred photos to your Fire. During the process you’ll be prompted to connect to Facebook and other online accounts, but making those connections is optional. Also note, different Fire models (e.g., first generation non-HD, first generation HD, second generation HD, etc.) may have different file folders. I’m not sure what you mean by “photo – device area”. When I connect my Kindle Fire to my Windows 7 PC, I see an icon for the Fire under My Computer, and when I double-click on that there’s a whole lot of folders of Fire content on the Fire. One of them is Photos, and beneath that there’s a folder called “screenshots” that was created when I took my first screenshot. Look under whatever folder you have for Photos.

2. Comment by kai:

Thank you , works for me . Kindle Fire HDX . Photos access through Home , Photo tab at top of page. :-)

3. Comment by laurie:

I had to have my kindle fire hd replaced and I can screenshot items but they do not show up anywhere!!!I didn’t have this problem before. They went straight to photos/device. HELP!!! What is wrong?

• Comment by Mom:

On an HD you have to go through Photos setup before you can access anything. On the Fire HD, tap the Photos tab and answer the prompts. When that part is over, at the upper left-hand corner there will be a little menu icon with the word “All” next to it. Tap that icon to open the menu and select “Device”. Screenshots will be there.

4. Comment by anna:

When I do it all that comes up is the volume meter

• Comment by Mom:

It can be tricky. You have to press long enough for the presses to register, but not so long that the volume changes. It’s a quick, hard, simultaneous press, straight down on both buttons, no angle at all. It doesn’t work every single time for me either, sometimes I have to make several attempts. But once you succeed, you’ll get a better feel for how to do it so it works most of the time.

5. Comment by Andy Ratliff:

how do you message a screenshot to another person; via private message